HOUSING ACT 1988, Section 21(1)(b)

As amended by the HOUSING ACT 1996



Assured Shorthold Tenancy: Fixed Term

Notice Requiring Possession



(i) Name and address of tenant.           To:                             








(ii) Name & address of landlord           

(Note B)                                                 From:                                                                                                                                    







                                               ADDRESS OF DWELLING

I give you notice that I require possession of the dwelling house known as                                   



(iii) See Note C                            DATE OF EXPIRY






(iv) Name and address to be                Landlord's            If not applicable please delete.

completed when notice is                      Agent:                        

served by agent.                                                             





A.      On or after coming to the end of a fixed term assured shorthold tenancy, a court must make an order for possession if the landlord has given a notice in writing.


B.      Where there are joint landlords, at least one of them must give this notice.


C.      The length of the notice must be at least two months, and the notice must be given before or on the day on which the fixed term comes to an end.



*        1. If the tenant or licensee does not leave the dwelling, the landlord or licensor must get an order for possession from the court before the tenant or licensee can lawfully be evicted. The landlord or licensor cannot apply for such an order before the notice to quit or notice to determine has run out.


*        2. A tenant or licensee who does not know if he has any right to remain in possession after a notice to quit or a notice to determine runs out can obtain advice from a solicitor. Help with all or part of the cost of legal advice and assistance may be available under the legal aid scheme. He should also be able to obtain information from a Citizens' Advice Bureau, a Housing Aid Centre or a rent officer.