Please see our additional information on our cookies policy.
At Do-it (part of the registered charity YouthNet UK) we take our obligations under the Data Protection Act (1998) very seriously.
We offer user registration to make it as easy as possible for you to apply online for volunteering opportunities.
When you apply for an opportunity, we will forward your details to the opportunity provider. If the opportunity is advertised by an opportunity broker (such as a Volunteer Centre), your details may be sent to both the broker and the organisation hosting the opportunity in order to take your application forward.
We will also hold this information ourselves, to allow you to apply for another opportunity without having to complete a new form.
The opportunity provider might forward your details to the organisation hosting the opportunity in order to take your application forward. Otherwise, the information will never be passed on to a third party without your permission unless we are legally obliged to do so.
We will supply you with contact details for the organisation that your application is sent to. If a broker chooses to forward your information to the organisation hosting the opportunity, they should provide you with contact details for this. We are not responsible for the privacy policies and practices of other organisations you deal with or sites that you visit.
We ask for information about disability and ethnicity to help us, the opportunity provider and the opportunity host with equal opportunities monitoring. By choosing to submit this information you consent to the processing of this information by us and these organisations.
Information you provide is also collated to help us to demonstrate our impact to funders and develop our service to further meet users' needs.
Unless you choose to tick the relevant boxes, you will not receive further mailings other than a reply to your enquiry from the opportunity provider or opportunity host. If you would like to stop receiving further mailings from us, you can uncheck the relevant box on your profile. You can also choose to delete your account.
You are entitled to ask for a copy of the information we store about you (for which we may charge a small fee not exceeding £10).
If you have any concerns or questions please contact us.
Why we ask for your date of birth
We ask for your date of birth for a number of reasons, which help us (YouthNet) and our partner organisations that provide volunteering opportunities:
- Not all volunteering opportunities are open to all age groups (e.g. some are specifically for young people or older people and many organisations cannot involve volunteers under the age of 16 etc) so it helps our partners place volunteers in appropriate opportunities;
- Our partner organisations need to ensure that they are involving all sections of their community and have to demonstrate this to their funders so they require date of birth to be included in the registration process. By supplying it here it means it is transferred directly on to the partner's database;
- It helps us monitor who is using Do-it. We have a stated aim of ensuring that we are reaching all sections of society.
Age discrimination laws do not currently apply to volunteering opportunities.
Do-it / +U mobile application
Do-it has been working with partners to develop a mobile application called +U. To use the +U application you need to authorise +U to access your Facebook account. When you do this, we have access to the following Facebook data:
- Your basic information. This includes name, profile picture, gender, networks, user id, list of friends and any other information you have made public
- Your Facebook statuses and photos
- Information people share with you and posts in your newsfeed
The application may access your data when you're not using the application.
The application can post to Facebook as you. The application may post status messages, notes, photos and videos on your behalf.
We collect this information for the following reasons:
- We use the list of friends to find other friends who are using +U. +U can read the status updates of your friends so we can fill the built-in news feed with volunteering status.
- Status is used to update your wall with volunteering status updates and badges.
- Photos are used to post photos on your wall at check-in.